I haven't posted in a little while, mostly because I am too tired when I get home to try to entertain the 3 people who read this blog on a regular basis. However, life in the hospital is great. I have been able to spend a lot of time in the OR, and the attendings are handing me the scalpel and allowing me to operate quite a bit. I have done a ton of melanoma excisions and sentinel lymphadenectomies as well as breast biopsies, lumpectomies, appendectomies, and cholecystectomies. The laparoscopic procedures (using small incisions for the tools and a camera to look into the abdomen instead of making a big incsion) are still challenging for me because it is like playing a video game and to be honest, I have never been much of a video game guy.
Last night one of the interns was called about a patient who had a big operations two days prior and was now acting very agitated. The nurse requested an order for a sedative which the intern agreed to. A few hours later a code blue was called on the patient after he went into respiratory arrest. It looks like the patient was already having a hard time breathing and the sedative ordered by the intern tipped the scale enough to send the patient over the edge. In retrospect, the intern made a bad decision, but I think it is a decision that many of us could have made in similar circumstances. When you are woken up in the middle of the night by a nurse and asked a question about a patient you don't know very well, it is easy to grant the nurses request without thinking more about it. The seemingly straightforward decisions we make have potentially lethal consequences.
Thursday, August 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think there are more than three of us.
I read it.
Post a Comment