Wednesday, August 02, 2006

LDS Hospital

Yesterday I switched over to LDS hospital where I am one of two interns on a general surgery service. Most of our patients have been operated on for GI problems like ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, etc. Changing over to a new hospital has been a bit of an adjustment. I am still trying to get to know the patients I am responsible for and to figure out the computer system. Fortunately, I have found where the free food is in the hospital which includes popcorn, drawers full of oreo cookie packages, a soda fountain, bagels and dougnuts for breakfast in the physician dining room, and alternating soup or sandwiches for lunch. All this free food makes the growing pains of learning how to get things done in a new hospital worth it. It is nice to know that if I wake up at 4 am there will be tasty glazed doughnuts waiting for me after I round on my patients.

Yesterday I helped do a couple breast biopsies in the OR, and today I helped on a surgery to fix a lady's anal fistula. I am not sure how either of these cases will be relevant to me when I am an ENT surgeon, but for now I am just happy to be in the operating room. I will take what I can get.

No comments: