Sunday, July 09, 2006

Foreign Body in the Face

A young man was admitted last night after a high speed car accident. He was being chased by the cops and crashed into a chain-link fence. When his head was scanned, it was noticed that he had a foregin body embedded in his cheek as well as a blowout fracture of his orbit. He was taken to the OR and the wound was explored. The ENT surgeons dug deep into his cheek and pulled out a large piece of plastic from his maxillary sinus. It turns out the piece of plastic was the turn signal from his car, and it was lodged as far back into his face as it could possibly be. When I went in to see him this morning, I explained what the surgeons found, and then I pulled out the turn signal in a plastic bag and showed him what it was. I can't quote him verbatim on this site, but needless to say, he was shocked.

No comments: