
Nourishment. A simple word. But a concept we all take for granted. However, I will be a food ingrate no longer. When things get busy in the SICU and there is no time to go to the cafeteria for a more formal cuisine, fortunately we have access to the Nourishment room. Yes, this is the room where carnal appetites are satiated; but no Laura Daines, I am not referring to the animal attraction between doctors and nurses. Each morning I secretly enter the room and open the fridge to find small plastic cups with fermenting apple sauce, old green jello that has lost its jiggle, and if I am lucky, a 1.5 oz bottle of chocolate milk. Then, to complete the shmorgesborg, I gleefuly grab a few small packages of graham crackers. Ahhh, I can taste it now. After devouring my makeshift meal, I must exit quickly before my actions are discovered. If two would-be-diners happen to stumble onto one another in such a state of gluttony, the scene quickly becomes uncomfortable. Excuses are made about looking for a snack for a patient, and then both individuals depart awkwardly, only to sneak back a few minutes later when no one is looking.
Rumor has it that in the Burn Intensive Care Unit, there is a hidden room with a jar of peanut butter that, when combined with two strategically positioned graham crackers, makes quite the sandwich.

2 comments:
Dr, I've done the exact same "nourishment room dance." Damn, it's embarassing because here at parkland it's supposedly only for patients. well how am i supposed to live without some crackers? ps, it's true, in the burn unit we had peanut butter and chocolate milk cartons.
dyerwolf
Somehow this same sceanario would be comical and not-so-disturbing on Grey's Anatomy...I thought you were referring to your carnal appetite for nurses...
Post a Comment