Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Working the System

My job for today was to get my vehicle registered in Utah and to obtain a Utah driver's license. Needless to say, I was not thrilled about either task, but I bit the bullet and went to work. My first stop was the DMV where I took a number and waited for an hour. When my number was called, I approached the window and was as nice as possible to the employee. She asked me why I moved to Utah and I told her that it was to be a doctor here. She then told me that I needed to go and get emissions testing and a safety inspection for my car before I could get my permanent registration. She said that since I am a doctor, I could come back and skip the line that was now about 2 hours and come straight to her window. For the second day in a row, being a doctor got me hooked up. Next, I had to go to a different DMV office to get a Utah driver's license. By the time I got there, the lady at the desk told me that it was too late in the day to get a new license and that I would have to come back tomorrow at 7 AM. I said, "You know, I'm a doctor and it is impossible for me to get in here to get my license any other day but today." She told me that if I could prove I am a doctor, she would help me out. I ran to my car and got my ID badge and showed it to her. She then helped me to cut to the front of the line, and she waved the mandatory traffic rules exam for me. Damn, it's good to be an MD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

where'd the link to hotornot go?!