I know you all have been waiting anxiously to hear how my first day as a doctor went. I am reeeaeaaaaaaaal tired, so I won't be as eloquent as you are no doubt used to from me. I showed up at the SICU (surgical intensive care unit) at about 545 AM saturday morning in my scrubs and wearing a fresh, long, spotless white lab coat. I thought I was locked out of the hospital because my ID badge wouldnt open any of the doors, so i had to enter through the Emergency Room. I met a couple of the residents I will be working with and we started seeing the 15 or so patients before rounds with the attending (aka the faculty doctor who oversees the residents). After rounds I learned that I would have to take call that night to help the resident on call who happened to get food poisoning from Subway. The nurses put an IV in him and he was sleeping his sickness off in the call room. Anyway, by 2 PM, the other residents had gone home and I was left holding a couple pagers. I was told I could wake up the sick resident whenever I needed help, but I wanted to let him sleep. The nurses started coming up to me and asking me to write orders for their patients, and my pager beeped annoyingly with similar requests. Every once in a while I would wake up the sick resident to ask him a question, but I tried to handle most of the issues by myself. I won't confirm or deny the rumors, but I may have used Google a couple of times.
Anyway, I spent the night in the hospital and got a couple hours sleep which were of course interrupted by more pages from the nurses. To their credit, the nurses were VERY helpful and veru cool, and I did my best to make friends with them since I want them to be my allies, not my enemies. I may have flirted a little as well, but I have no recollection of that.
At 11 PM a man came in who had crashed head first on his motorcycle into a brick mailbox. He fractured almost every bone in his face, and he had a couple huge lacerations on his face as well. Under his chin was a huge, gaping hole through which we could feel the floor of his mouth and shards of bone from his jaw. The ENT resident came down to see him and sew his face together, and since I am doing my residency in ENT, the resident allowed me to assist in sewing up the poor guy's face. Needless to say, he looks like a million bucks now, or maybe a million pesos. The funny thing is that he had a huge tattoo on his arm of a guy on a motorcycle. After driving his bike head-on into a mailbox, I wonder if he is going to laser the tattoo off.
I left the next day (today) at Noon after rounding with the attending once again. Driving home, it all felt like a blur. So thus ends my first day as an intern.
Sunday, June 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
that is exactly why I never eat at subway
Post a Comment