Sunday, January 21, 2007

More Trauma Drama

The last 3 weeks I have been lost in the turbulent world of motor vehicle collisions, ski accidents, violent crimes, and other miscellaneous causes of human injury. Words like unrestrained driver, prolonged extrication, partial ejection, rollover, and loss of consciousness dance around in my head all day.

I am not in the mood to preach about the importance of wearing your seatbelt while you drive or your helmet while you are on the slopes, but believe me, it makes a huge difference. After seeing people thrown out the back window of their vehicle when their car rolls over or out the front window when they crash into a tree, you realize that an annoying little seatbelt is a lot less annoying than smacking your head against the concrete or having your nose ripped off your face or your arm ripped off your torso.

Last week a pretty Brazilian girl was brought to the hospital after hitting her head snowboarding. Her only injury was a concussion, and sadly we had to discharge her the day after we admitted her. Given that the pretty Brazilian girl had a lot of even prettier Brazilian friends who came to visit her, I think all of the male physicians were hoping she would require a longer hospitalization...

An elderly woman with alzheimers came in a couple days ago after falling down the stairs in the middle of the night while trying to get to the bathroom. I think the combination of her dementia and a small head injury made her very goofy because she was saying the funniest things. Early one morning when I went into her room to examine her, I made the mistake of calling her "honey." She then proceeded to lecture me about how she is not my honey, and she even called me "one of the bad guys." I was just trying to be nice!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

catchy title. sorry about the pretty brazillian, i know how you like ethnic ones. -Vpd